Dare I say best Avocado Dip ever?
How perfect and plentiful are the avocados right now? With the onset of the warmer weather, this Guacamole dip is perfection. Creamy avocado, zingy lime juice, freshness of coriander and a nice hit of chilli. Great as a dip or part of a Mexican feast.
There’s a story behind this dip, of course there is! Once upon a time I worked with a very nasty woman. A bully really. And somehow I got it into my head that the best way to deal with her was to be nice to her. The nicer I was, the more horrid she was. Still I persisted. In all but one way. Her claim to fame at our weekly work morning teas was her guacamole. Now of course, no-one was saying anything differently, but it became my mission to create a more rustic, gutsy “take that” guacamole. Ta da! The best avocado dip was born! Needless to say that the work situation did not end well, but it was widely (if secretly) agreed that this was superior. Try it out, keeping in mind that your best can add or subtract from these ingredients.
Gather your ingredients together. I’ll tell you why this is a good idea before you begin. This dip needs to be made quickly to avoid the avocado browning, so you want to make sure that you have everything that you need (unlike a certain someone who had forgotten that she had used up all the sour cream and had to make a quick dash out). I used about half a large red chilli and it had a good heat. You can increase or decrease to taste, or if not a chilli fan, pop in some sweet chilli sauce.
Squeeze the lime juice into a bowl and then scoop out the flesh of the avocado and mash together.
Add the chilli, coriander, tomato, onion, cumin and sour cream and mix to combine. Season with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. This is where you will need to taste and add more sour cream or lime juice or salt until it meets your high expectations!
- 2 ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lime, about 2 tbs
- 1 small tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely diced (a finely sliced shallot could be substituted)
- 1 small red chilli, finely diced
- 1-2 tbs coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbs sour cream
- pinch salt and cayenne pepper
- Pour juice of lime into a bowl, then scoop flesh from the avocados and quickly mash together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spoon into serving dish, and if not using immediately, cover surface with plastic wrap, pushing down gently to ensure that no air can get through. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use
- To serve, sprinkle top with extra coriander leaves. Serve with corn chips or crudités